How To Top Class 5 Maths Exam?
Let’s face it; maths is a tricky subject. It gets difficult with each grade and gets more tricky to deal with. As such, it is important to get your concepts clear starting at a young age. Class 5th is an important class that helps in building the foundation in this subject. After all, maths only gets more tricky from this grade onwards. This is the class when students finally get acquainted with slightly complicated concepts that this subject incorporates, and requires a bit more effort and preparation than its preceding grades.
However, it’s also ironic that this subject is also considered one of the most highly scoring subjects. It is one subject that you can score full marks in, but only if you have the concepts/formulas, etc., absolutely clear. However, this is not a one day job. Obtaining good scores in this subject requires year-long effort, and it is only with constant practice and will that you will be able to score highly in this exam. And so, to help you, we have compiled a tried and tested approach that will help you top class 5th maths exam with a breeze!
- Get Well-Versed With The Syllabus
Class 5th maths syllabus is quite diverse. It starts with the decimal system and further gets you acquainted with percentage, Unitary methods, graphs, pie charts, perimeter, area, volume, and more. As such, it is important to first get a thorough understanding of the syllabus. Class 5th CBSE syllabus includes the following topics:
- Division of decimals
- Multiplication of Decimals
- Equivalent Fractions
- Factors, Multiples, and Prime Factorization
- Division of Fractions
- Multiplication of Fractions
- Numbers up to 9-digits
- Addition and Subtraction of Decimals
- Addition and Subtraction of Fractions
- Unitary Method
- Bar Graphs
- Pie Charts
The first step of every student should include getting a good grasp of the syllabus. Doing this will give you an understanding of what you’ll be studying for the coming session.
- Pay Attention To Classroom Lectures
Paying complete attention during lectures is incredibly important for obtaining good marks in this subject. You need to be attentive to everything that is being taught in the class, and should also indulge actively in making notes. Another reason why being alert in class is important is because your teachers will give you tips and tricks to solve equations easily, that others might not be able to tell you. Learning these tricks can help you significantly during your exams.
- Collect Study Material
While NCERT is considered to be enough for class 5th maths exam preparation, indulging in some reference material has never hurt anyone. After all, the more you practice, the better you’ll get at solving questions. As such, look for reference books, CBSE Class 5 Maths Sample Papers, previous year question papers, and other resources to get an idea about the exam pattern, and the kind of questions that might be asked. However, do not indulge in a lot of reference material, as it might also lead to confusion.
- Make A Timetable
Once you have collected all the study material, chalk down a proper study plan. This should involve the amount of time you would give each chapter. Note; some chapters will require more time and practice than others. As such, plan your timetable accordingly. Your timetable should also include scheduled breaks.
- Take Help
Maths is one of those subjects that will require some additional help. As such, do not hesitate from asking questions. Make a separate notebook for jotting down your queries, and get them addressed by your teachers, tutors, parents, elder sibling, or friends, till you finally get a solution.
- Make Notes
Now, making notes in maths will require a slightly different approach than other subjects. As such, here’s how you can make fruitful notes for this subject:
- Start by maintaining separate notebooks for writing general notes, solving equations, and formulas. This will help you during revision.
- Or, you can divide your page into three parts. Use the main part to solve equations. The second part should be to note important information/theories. And finally, a separate area for calculations. This will keep everything together, yet separate to give you a clear understanding of everything.
- Use visual aids like diagrams, charts, etc, as they will help you in grasping all the concepts with a lot more clarity.
- Use coloured pens, highlighters, and sticky notes, to enhance your notes. This will make your notes more organised and would make you want to come back for revision.
- Practice More
Practice is all it takes to achieve mastery in maths. The more you practice, the better you’ll get at this subject. As such, practice as many questions as you can, as this won’t just help you in understanding the equations better, but will also help in increasing your pace of solving questions.
- Look Up Tips & Tricks To Ease Equations
Traditional methods of solving questions can take up some time. However, there are several tips and tricks available online that will give you fun and easy ways of solving equations. These tricks will ease calculations for you, would help you memorise formulas easily, and would help in solving questions at a quicker pace.
- Be Prepared For The D-Day
Before appearing for the exam, you must be prepared to a T. As such, here are a few things that you must keep in mind a night before, and on the day of your exam:
- Be well equipped with stationery. Make sure you have everything from a pen, pencil, and eraser, to a ruler, and other tools of geometry on the day of your exam.
- Go through your notes a night before the exam, and do not open them the next day. The last-minute revision will only lead to more confusion, so keep your mind clear on the day of the exam.
- Read every question thoroughly before solving it. Also, maths is a subject where you can also score marks for getting the steps right. So, even if you don’t get the answers right, make sure the steps are correct.
- Do not get stuck on one question. If you don’t know the answer, move on to the next question. You can come back later and attempt it.
This subject sure is tricky, but scoring well in it can help in boosting your overall result. With some effort, you will be able to score highly in it, so stay consistent. Good luck!